From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install Windows XP on Gentoo Laptop
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 09:50:26
1 On 2 May 2008, at 18:52, Michael Higgins wrote:
2 > ...
3 > I have a laptop with a spare partition waiting for WinXP, to install
4 > from Dell OEM disks that came originally.
5 >
6 > Is this possible? I understand XP will overwrite the MBR. So, I'd have
7 > to re-install grub & that's it? '-)
8
9 See also Mark Knecht's reply to your message (2 May 2008 19:03:38
10 BDT) and my reply to that (just now).
11
12 But IME all you need to do, after installing XP & losing Grub's MBR
13 is reboot from a Gentoo LiveCD and run the `grub` command, as shown
14 as Code Listing 2.29 of the Gentoo Linux x86 Quick Install Guide.
15
16 I wouldn't call this "installing Grub" - as that, to me, implies
17 emerging the rest of Grub, too (and that's not necessary), but I see
18 the Quick Install Guide does.
19
20 That done, the laptop will boot normally to Gentoo, and you can edit
21 grub.conf to add a chainloader section which points to the
22 appropriate partition.
23
24 Stroller.
25 --