From: Robert Cernansky <hslists2@××××××.sk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: xmms alternative
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 09:12:47
1 On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 21:35:03 -0400 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 12:27:52PM +0200, Harm Geerts wrote
4 > > On Friday 27 October 2006 06:00, Walter Dnes wrote:
5 >
6 > > > amarok ==> Even worse than xine. It's a Windows Media Player
7 > > > wannabee bloated frontend that ends up launching xine. In
8 > > > addition to building xinelib, it also builds kde-base, ruby, and
9 > > > a bunch of other junk.
10 > >
11 > > Amarok is Microsofts wet dream.
12 > > Amarok has so much more to offer.
13 >
14 > That insult against Amarok is stronger than anything else I can
15 > think of, and beautifully explains exactly what I find wrong with
16 > it. Amarok constitutes a replacement for xmms just like an
17 > 18-wheeler tractor-trailer combo constitutes a replacement for
18 > a half-ton pickup truck.
19 [...]
20
21 I agree with this. Amarok is not good replacement for xmms. It has
22 another philosophy which is similar to Windows Media Player. It has
23 also much higher requirements for resources in runtime and also in
24 dependecies/build time. Especially for non KDE users.
25
26 > [m3000][root][~] emerge --ask audacious
27
28 Yes, audacious is closest replacement that I found in stable amd64
29 tree. It has same philosophy as xmms.
30
31 But it missing several features. For me it is mainly gapless output,
32 xosd support and wide posibilites to control it via command line
33 (like xmms-pipe). Consider also tons of plugins for xmms.
34
35 I have emerged audacious to watch its development but I will stay with
36 xmms as long as it will be possible.
37
38 Robert
42 Robert Cernansky