From: Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Apple external booting (WAS: What list for Mac Mini?)
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 23:03:07
1 On Monday 31 October 2005 22:41, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > So I'm game to give it a try. You say I need to hold c when I power on
3 > to get it to see the Gentoo PPC install disk?
4
5 > yaboot is the Apple boot loader? Like grub? (I'm a total Apple newbie)
6
7 yaboot is the linux ppc bootloader, more akin to lilo than grub though.
8 It requires a special bootloader partition, that is 800k (you don't get any
9 option on size, it's 800k), and it must go *before* the OSX partition
10 (luckily, OSX doesn't care if it's partition number changes, so you can move
11 it around).
12 I was able to resize, and move my OSX partition. I think I used mac-fdisk to
13 resize, and parted to move.
14
15 You can do the rest of the install without harming OSX in anyway obviously,
16 just not boot it :)
19 Mike Williams
20 --
21 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list