From: Joost Roeleveld <Joost.Roeleveld@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] IMAP servers
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 10:29:42
1 > This is not so much a problem as an 'I wonder'...
2 >
3 > I currently use dovecot imap with maildir to support several dozen
4 > folders containing several gigabytes of mail using Thunderbird as a mail
5 > client. This "works" - but I am surprised by the number of imap
6 > processes that the mail server is running to support a single
7 > Thunderbird client... it appears that there is one connection per folder
8 > and one process per connection... which seems (to me at least) to be
9 > overkill.
10
11 Having never used dovecot, I can't comment on this. But maybe this can be
12 changed in a configuration file somewhere?
13 But I think this is caused by the client, not by the server.
14
15 > I'm aware that there are lots of IMAP clients I might have chosen -
16 > Courier; UWImap, Cyrus and dovecot... but I'm finding it difficult to
17 > establish details which would help me choose the most appropriate server
18 > for my purposes. In order of importance, I'm interested in:
19 >
20 > 1. Stability and reliability.
21 > 2. Scalability to handle a very large number of 'folders' for a
22 > relatively small number of end-users.
23 > 3. Performance (primarily with respect to 'new mail'
24 > notifications, but also, to a lesser extent, with searching archived
25 > messages.
26 >
27 > I'd be interested to hear any anecdotes from Gentooists who have
28 > addressed a similar question recently...
29 >
30 > Steve
31
32 I have a similar requirement for my emails, esp. with the mailinglists I
33 can end up with some very large folders (100,000+ messages in one of my
34 folders)
35
36 I found that Courier-IMAP didn't manage to handle these folders very well,
37 and I had to split these folders up into seperate folders for this to
38 work.
39 I have since moved to Cyrus and I find that this works easier, even with
40 only 2 users using it, it currently handles over 7Gb of stored email.
41
42 Only once had a problem with one of the folders, which was easily fixed.
43 The cause for this was most likely a minor corruption on the filesystem
44 when my server lost power. (UPS is unreliable, but that's a different
45 issue)
46
47 As for the performance with regards to notifications, I find that the
48 mailclient is responsible for this, rather then the server. Doing a quick
49 check for new emails is very quick with Cyrus, Courier didn't scale very
50 well in my experience.
51
52 I hope this helps, and that others can come with more information,
53 including some benchmarks, if these exist.
54
55 As a final note, I don't think either Courier or Cyrus have ever lost a
56 single email, but I have never done a full check for this.
59 Joost Roeleveld
62 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list