From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tips for saving power needed...
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2012 16:00:51
1 Am Sonntag, 1. April 2012, 17:04:58 schrieb Jarry:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > admin of a colo-center keeps complaining my server is going
5 > a little over power-limit (which they have set as ~120W per
6 > 24h/avg, while my server needs ~130-135W). So I need to find
7 > a way to save at least those 15W, or I will be moved to
8 > higher tarif (which means higher costs for server-housing).
9 >
10 > Before going hard(ware) way, I would like to try first
11 > all possible software solutions. What I tried up to now is
12 > cpufreqd, CONFIG_NO_HZ=y, and spindown. In addition to that
13 > I adjusted fan-speeds to a little lower values and turned
14 > off some unneeded peripherials (in bios).
15 >
16 > Is there anything else I could do? Any tips would be greatly
17 > welcomed...
18 >
19 > Jarry
20
21 don't use cpufreqd? Just use the ondemand cpu governor. Only run services you
22 need. If there is graphics hardware make sure the driver knows about power
23 saving. An amd card on a virtual terminal needs as much power as an amd card
24 in X doing heavy 3d lifting ...
28 #163933