From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About ready to move /usr, /var and /home to LVM.
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 10:33:42
1 Gregory Shearman wrote:
2 > In linux.gentoo.user, Dale wrote:
3 >> I have ran into a issue here. I copied everything over to sdb, my temp
4 >> drive. When I try to boot it, it still boots from sda which is the
5 >> primary drive. I can not get it to boot from the copy. I did update
6 >> the fstab file to point to the new sdb partitions, I use labels for that
7 >> and they have different names. I also edited grub and told it root was
8 >> sdb2. When I boot, everything mounted is sda.
9 >
10 > Did you actually install grub onto your MBR by either:
11 >
12 > # grub-install --no-floppy /dev/sdb
13 >
14 > or
15 >
16 > # grub
17 >
18 > grub> root (hd1,0)
19 > grub> setup (hd1)
20 > grub> quit
21 >
22 > -------------------------------------------------------------------------
23 >
24 > You didn't actually write down these steps. Are you assuming that we
25 > know you've done that?
29 In the past, I never had to install grub to sdb. As long as grub is
30 installed to one drive, I can boot a OS from any drive. I did this when
31 I used to have Mandrake and Gentoo installed. I had Mandrake installed
32 on sda and Gentoo on sdb. I only had one /boot partition which was on
33 sda1. It had the kernel for both Mandrake and Gentoo in it and sda1 was
34 used for both.
35
36 So, has something changed that if I want to boot from a second drive I
37 have to install grub to its MBR first? When the BIOS finishes and loads
38 grub, doesn't it always load from the first drive? If that is true,
39 doesn't it ignore the MBR on the second drive? It can't load both MBRs
40 right?
41
42 This isn't making sense. I have done this many times in the past with
43 no problems but now something is different. I need help figuring out
44 what.
45
46 Dale
47
51 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
52 how you interpreted my words!
53
54 Miss the compile output? Hint:
55 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"