From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Locking dependant installs
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2012 15:34:32
1 On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 17:20:05 +0200, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2
3 > I want to emerge application "F", which
4 > depends on library "A","B","C","D" and "E",
5 > which unfortunately are not used by any other
6 > program and are really heavy to compile in terms
7 > of compile time.
8 >
9 > Unfortunately the last step -- the compilation
10 > of "A" -- fails, which I recognize unfortunately
11 > but naturally at the moment all other dependencies
12 > are installed.
13 >
14 > Is there a legal and clean way to "lock" those
15 > already installed dependencies and save them
16 > from being wiped out by the tidy and clean up
17 > commands normally used after a general update
18 > of gentoo?
19
20 I can think of three options:
21
22 1) Create a set (if using portage 2.2). Add each of the packages
23 to /etc/portage/sets/depsforF then emerge -n @depsforF.
24
25 2) quickpkg B C D E - then it doesn't matter if they are unmerged them
26 as you can quickly re-emerge them with the -k option.
27
28 3) Don't run emerge --depclean until you have resolved this issue.
32 Neil Bothwick
33
34 How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a
35 good idea to put wheels on luggage?