From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sharing linux's internet connection with an iMac?
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 17:58:16
1 Hi,
2
3 On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 18:23:24 +0200 Matthias Bethke
4 <matthias@×××××××.de> wrote:
5
6 > on Monday, 2006-03-27 at 13:36:38, you wrote:
7 > > Most likely it wouldn't work because of the wlan link layer. Most
8 > > WiFi cards don't go well with bridging... So routing is the option
9 > > which is left.
10 >
11 > The 802.11 link layer is almost exactly the same as in Ethernet so
12 > that should be a driver issue. Particularly the LLC part is completely
13 > compatible...I never actually tried the bridging though.
14
15 I should have been more verbose. 802.11 may be almost the same
16 regarding the logical link layer, but not the Media Access Control
17 layer. In fact, 802.11 has the DS bits in its headers and potentially
18 up to four relevant addresses for routing the packet (Receiver,
19 Transmitter, Source, Destination for our scenario). Bridging can in
20 fact work if the WiFi node in question can make use of these features.
21 However, most STA's cannot due to restrictions in their firmware. IIRC,
22 that's basically the difference between STA/AP firmware versions. By
23 definition, this is an AP function (see 802.11 standard, 1999, pg.
24 37ff.), WDS (Wireless Distribution Service). As it isn't relevant for
25 hardware design, I tend to agree that it is a "driver problem",
26 although not quite like usual "driver problems"...
27
28 -hwh
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list