From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How's the openrc update going for everyone?
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 12:33:07
1 On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 02:00:01PM +0200, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 11 May 2011 20:40:02 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 >
4 > > > KDE devs decided to take the risk and make the jump ahead of the
5 > > > curve.
6 > >
7 > > Coca Cola went from Coke Classic to New Coke; at least they had the
8 > > guts to admit that it was a bad idea, and reverse it.
9 > >
10 8<----8<----some snippage---->8---->8
11 >
12 > The important point is that KDE wanted something better, it's unfortunate
13 > that it took so much longer than planned, but it would have taken even
14 > longer if they had not tried.
17 Just to clarify:
18
19 I applaud the attempt, even if I find the current results questionable.
20 The thing about KDE is it used to be instrumental for me in converting
21 non-geek windows users to Linux. It was excellent for that.
22 The new one really requires users who not only know what they're doing,
23 but also have the inclination to fiddle and and tune all the time.
24 Hopefully, this phase of it's development will soon draw to a conclusion
25 and we'll once more be able to put non-tech users on kde without drama.
26
27 But I apologise for opening that can of worms in the first place, it was
28 probably not apropriate here.
31 caveat utilitor