From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Preparing a laptop for sale
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 09:40:54
1 On Thursday 17 December 2009 12:47:23 Albert Hopkins wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 11:42 +0000, Mick wrote:
3 > > shred ... shreds files. Therefore you may need to point it to the
4 > > files in question for it to work.
5
6 > No. This is horribly wrong. Please don't tell people this.
7
8 It's not entirely wrong. Shred will wipe a file that you ask it to, or a
9 device that you point it to.
10
11 > The problem with just shredding files is thus:
12 >
13 > * I have a file with very sensitive data, it occupies blocks x-y
14 > on my hard drive.
15 > * I later delete that file, in the os it just get's unlinked().
16 > If there are no more links to that file then it's considered
17 > deleted, however the data is still there.
18 > * Out of sheer "luck" blocks x-y are never reallocated. The data
19 > remains on that block.
20 > * I go to shred every file on the filesystem. Blocks x-y never get
21 > shredded because they are not linked to a file.
22 > * I give my laptop to someone. They run a tool as simple as
23 > formost(1) on the drive. Bingo! Sensitive data found.
24
25 Of course! Sorry for giving at least partially incorrect advice. :-(
26
27 > Your comment about shredding devices... how long have you been using
28 > *nix man?
29
30 Long enough to have forgotten most I've learned about it. ha, ha!
31
32 shred -v -n 25 -z /dev/sda
33
34 will do the desired overwritting 25 times. dd will do the same, reruns will
35 have to be done manually or via a script. DBAN seems to be the best tool
36 available to do this job and it will from now be part of my arsenal of useful
37 tools. Some useful info here:
38
39 http://www.digitalissues.co.uk/html/os/misc/shred.html
40 --