From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Weird GNOME problem
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 17:07:35
1 Michael Sullivan schreef:
2 > On Sat, December 31, 2005 4:44 am, Rumen Yotov wrote:
3 >
4 >> On (31/12/05 01:49), michael@××××××××××××.com wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Earlier tonight I changed the setting in /etc/conf.d/rc for the
7 >>> RC_DEVICE_TARBALL from "yes" to "no" and rebooted. Now I can't
8 >>> get into GNOME. For my personal account after I enter my
9 >>> username/password the screen clears and I see the default
10 >>> background color and my mouse pointer, then nothing else. I can
11 >>> move the mouse pointer, but there's nothing the click on and the
12 >>> context menu doesn't come up when I right-click. When I tried to
13 >>> log in as root from the welcome screen I see the "GNOME Starting"
14 >>> box with the Gentoo logo, but it never goes on from that. To get
15 >>> out of both my personal account and the root account I had to
16 >>> Alt+Cntrl+Backspace. I got a Failsafe Terminal and looked at the
17 >>> log files for gdm and saw this:
18 >>>
19 >>> (EE) GARTInit: Unable to open /dev/agpgart (No such file or
20 >>> directory)
21 >>>
22 >>> There are five log files in /var/log/gdm; they all say roughly
23 >>> the same thing, and their timestamps are consistent with the
24 >>> times I tried to log in and got stuck. I can't even find out why
25 >>> it's looking for this file or how to make it stop looking for it.
26 >>> Can anyone help me out here? -- gentoo-user@g.o mailing
27 >>> list
28 >>>
29 >>
30 >> Hi, Are you using a Nvidia video card? Reverting RC_DEVICE_TARBALL
31 >> to "yes" should solve the problem but it's not a solution. udev
32 >> isn't creating the /dev/agpgart file/link - check if it's there and
33 >> with what perms. Rumen
37 > /dev/agpgart does not exist. As far as I know I am not using a
38 > Nvidia card. If I was I think I would have a /dev/nvidia as well as
39 > several other similar /dev files starting with nvid, but I don't...
42 "As far as you know"? Do you not know what video card you have in your
43 box? This is not really a wise policy in general (not knowing what your
44 hardware is), but especially not when running Linux.
45
46 But anyway, here's the deal.
47
48 AGPGART is the device representing your AGP bus, which bus (slot) most
49 likely holds your video card (unless you have an onboard video chip, a
50 PCI video card, or use PCI-E, which you might, but most likely do not,
51 as the vast majority of systems in use today use an AGP video card).
52
53 AGPGART is a motherboard resource, which is part of the kernel. What may
54 have happened is that you upgraded your kernel at some point and did not
55 enable agpgart in the kernel config, and/or did not enable specific
56 support for your motherboard, but this was not noticed because the
57 previously-existing device file was in the tarball you were using.
58 However, when you stopped using the tarball, because the modules were
59 not present in the kernel, a new device could not be created (because no
60 module/driver was found to create the device necessary). This is, of
61 course, all speculation, but I can't offhand think of any other reason
62 that /dev/agpgart would not be created, other than that the module isn't
63 loaded, and the most likely reason that that would happen is because
64 there is no support in the kernel enabled. However, this could also
65 happen because the module isn't explicitly loaded because either
66 coldplug is not installed, and/or the module--if compiled as a module--
67 needs to be in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.* and is not there
68 present, and/or the module-- if compiled directly into the kernel is not
70 modules enabled. But these are all somewhat less likely than agpgart
71 support not being enabled in the first place (which is itself fairly
72 unlikely, but since you are not getting the device being created, there
73 must be *some* reason that that isn't happening).
74
75 What Rumen is talking about is a specific quirk of nVidia cards using
76 the proprietary nVidia drivers, that the device must be created in
77 local.start because the device is for some reason not created
78 automatically (I don't have an nVidia card, so I don't know the
79 details). There is also a specific quirk of ATI cards using the
80 proprietary fglrx drivers, that agpgart must be compiled into the kernel
81 as a module, but your xorg.conf must be specifically set to either use
82 the kernel module or the module included with the fglrx drivers; the two
83 are incompatible and the fglrx drivers may or may not work if you use
84 the wrong one.
85
86 The reason you can get into a failsafe GNOME session is because that
87 uses the 'vesa' video driver, which is practically guaranteed to provide
88 a basic display (it's basically like Windows Safe Mode, doesn't run
89 anything except what you absolutely need to have enough of a session
90 that you can fix whatever's wrong). However, a full GNOME session
91 requires the driver specified in your xorg.conf to load, which it most
92 likely cannot, because your AGP bus is not loaded, so X is unable to
93 communicate with your video card (which is on the AGP bus, which is not
94 accessible, because the device file does not exist).
95
96 So what we want is to cause this device file to be created, which would
97 mean that we have to know somewhat more about
98
99 1) what kernel you are using
100
101 2) how it is configured
102
103 3) what specific hardware exists in the system (which impacts the
104 configuration of the kernel).
105
106 For the time being, I would suggest re-enabling the tarball in
107 /etc/conf.d/rc, so that you can have a fully-working system while you
108 determine the status of Device Drivers=> Character Devices=>
109 /dev/agpgart (AGP support) in your current kernel config, and the nature
110 of your motherboard and video card, so that you know what the correct
111 settings for your system actually need to be.
112
113 HTH,
114 Holly
115 --