From: napalm@××××××××××.org
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Postgres suddenly can't access files in its /etc directory
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 09:33:28
1 On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 06:27:22AM +0100, Graham Murray wrote:
2 > napalm@××××××××××.org writes:
3 >
4 > > Postgres doesn't have a home directory and if I create one and chown it
5 > > postgres:postgres I still can't do anything. I'm totally at a loss here.
6 >
7 > Postgres should have a home directory - /var/lib/postgresql
8 >
9 > If you run su - postgres, this is the directory you should be in.
10 >
11 Ah okay, I've changed it back to this then. I do indeed enter there now.
12 I've emerged it without threads or pam as I suspected it may have been
13 either of them but that hasn't seemed to solve much of anything.
14
15 The current error I'm getting is:
16 # /etc/init.d/postgresql-9.1 start
17 * Starting PostgreSQL ...
18 * start-stop-daemon: did not create a valid pid in
19 * `/var/lib/postgresql/9.1/data/postmaster.pid'
20 * Check the PostgreSQL 9.1 log for a detailed explanation of the
21 * above error. [ !! ]
22
23 Which is what happens when start-stop-daemon fails to execute its
24 command. I'm not entirely sure what start-stop-daemon is or what
25 permissions it may need or be missing so I'm about to look into that.
26
27 I seem to be getting somewhere at least.
28
29 Thanks again for the help!