From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] kompozer and arphicfonts
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 11:06:35
1 Hello.
2
3 I was a Gentoo user some 2.5 years ago and was very fond of it because
4 it updates frequently and includes newer versions of applications into
5 portage faster than other distributions. Later I switched away to
6 Ubuntu for working environment reasons (colleagues are using Ubuntu and
7 I got support / communication easier).
8
9 Now I just switch back to Gentoo and discovered, well, I am not sure
10 but looks a bit lag behind on updating portage. I only noticed two
11 examples:
12
13 1. Development for NVU wysiwyg editor has stalled for some
14 years, the other project continued its development called
15 "kompozer". Ubuntu has it there but I cannot find it in
16 Gentoo.
17 2. The other package arphicfonts are not developed for years
18 neither, a continue effort is the CJK Unifont project. In
19 Gentoo still there are only old packages. The new project
20 produce Chinese font that is used as default Chinese font in
21 Ubuntu.
22
23 Both new projects started after I switched away from Gentoo some
24 2 years ago, so it seems Gentoo didn't catch up. Maybe I am completely
25 wrong: I am sensative to these packages just because I am a Chinese
26 user and these two packages happen to improved for Chinese users a lot;
27 meanwhile there might be a lot other packages newly included in Gentoo
28 but overlooked by other distributions. But just how do you feel
29 generally? Is the portage keeping following up slower then before?
30
31 By the way I can compile these packages myself and I can contribut
32 ebuilds when I got some free time (e.g. in the coming holiday). I am
33 just a bit curious on how everything is generally going on in Portage.
34
35 Zhang Weiwu
36
37 -- Real Softservice
38 Real Softservice
39
40 Huateng Tower, Unit 1788
41 Jia 302 3rd area of Jinsong, Chao Yang
42
43 Tel: +86 (10) 8773 0650 ext 603
44 Mobile: 135 9950 2413
45 http://www.realss.com