From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Resizing a FAT partition?
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 03:04:14
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> [15-07-31 03:32]:
2 > On Thursday 30 Jul 2015 20:18:36 Todd Goodman wrote:
3 > > * Meino.Cramer@×××.de <Meino.Cramer@×××.de> [150730 14:32]:
4 > > > Hi,
5 > > >
6 > > > I have a SDcard of this layout:
7 > > > Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
8 > > >
9 > > > 1 4194kB 32.0GB 32.0GB primary fat32 lba
10 > > >
11 > > > There are about 11 GByte of data on it.
12 > > >
13 > > > The final result should be a SDcard with two partitions.
14 > > > First a FAT32 with about 20GByte and a second with 10GByte
15 > > > (ext4).
16 > > >
17 > > > I took a look at parted and the resize command, which sounds
18 > > >
19 > > > a little cryptic to me:
20 > > > resizepart partition end
21 > > >
22 > > > Change the end position of partition. Note that
23 > > > this does not modify any filesystem present in
24 > > > the partition.
25 > > >
26 > > > One should use resize2f for that purpose.
27 > > >
28 > > > Firstly I want to shrink the first partition and secondly it is a
29 > > > plain FAT32 partition not ext-something. I did not find a
30 > > > "resizefat32" or similiar.
31 > > >
32 > > > What tools do I need?
33 > > > (beside the way to backup the SDcard, reinitialize it, put 2
34 > > > partitions on it and copy back the stuff.)
35 > > >
36 > > > How can I acchieve what I want?
37 > > >
38 > > > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
39 > > >
40 > > > Best regards,
41 > > > Meino
42 > >
43 > > Hi Meino,
44 > >
45 > > The "difficulty" with shrinking partitions is that you need to shrink
46 > > the filesystem in the partition first and then change the partition
47 > > information (which you can then do if you're careful with your favorite
48 > > partition tool.)
49 > >
50 > > There are definitely tools to do this and I'm surprised parted says it
51 > > doesn't touch the filesystem in the partition (but that might have been
52 > > a recent parted change?)
53 > >
54 > > Personally, since you're going to play around with the partitions and
55 > > resizing existing filesystems, you should really have a backup.
56 > >
57 > > If you're going to have a backup then the easiest thing to me is to
58 > > create new partitions and then filesystems and then restore from the
59 > > backup.
60 > >
61 > > However, if you really want to live dangerously, the last gparted boot
62 > > disc image I used could shrink FAT32 filesystems and partitions. You
63 > > might want to see if it still can do so.
64 > >
65 > > Good luck!
66 > >
67 > > Todd
68 >
69 > Don't forget to defrag the filesystem first! If you were making it larger
70 > then it wouldn't matter, but if you are shrinking it, then you want your files
71 > to be contiguous and not sprayed all over the partition.
72 >
73 > --
74 > Regards,
75 > Mick
78 Hi all,
79
80 thanks a lot for all your help ! :)))
81
82 I did a back up and tried gparted with success! YEAH!
83
84 Have a nice weekend!
85 Best regards,
86 Meino