From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: WAS [.. min install isos] gentoo vm guest not booting
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 20:40:25
1 On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >
4 > First, thanks for going well beyond the call of duty and showing the
5 > patience of Job.
8 Gawd, you must not know about all the public help I've received here
9 over the years? It's the LEAST I can do.
10
11 > Those files are there already and have been all along.
12 >
13 > But anyway I rm'ed them and followed the steps resulting in:
14 >
15 > (From chrooted shell)
16 >
17 > root@sysresccd /dev % ls -l console null
18 > crw-rw---- 1 root root 5, 1 Jun 26 17:33 console
19 > crw-rw---- 1 root root 1, 3 Jun 26 17:33 null
20 >
21 > rc-update |grep udev
22 >     udev |                                        sysinit
23 > udev-postmount | default
24 >
25 > -------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------
28 OK, so that's good.
31 I'm very curious - did you happen to try appending something like
32
33 init=/sbin/init 1
34
35 to the boot kernel command and seeing what happens? That might be
36 instructive about where it's really getting to or what is stopping it
37 from proceeding.
40 > You may not have noticed that 2.6.38-r3 where your config came from is
41 > no longer available in portage... I used -r4 first time but now
42 > redoing it all I'm using your config but on 2.6.39-r1.  Since I can't
43 > get the exact one you used I may as well get the latest.
46 OK, you caught me. I've now updated to 2.6.39-gentoo-r2:
47
48 mark@GentooVBVM ~ $ uname -a
49 Linux GentooVBVM 2.6.39-gentoo-r2 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Jun 26 12:22:10
50 PDT 2011 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X 980 @ 3.33GHz GenuineIntel
51 GNU/Linux
52 mark@GentooVBVM ~ $
53
54 > So to summarize... I've used a version I bastardized, of your config, on
55 > a different kernel version... maybe not the smartest way to go...
58 To do the update I took the config I sent you, accepted all the
59 changes with the defaults, and built the kernel. No problem here. (I'm
60 actually writing this from within the VM itself using Firefox.
61
62 > I've recreated /dev/console and /dev/null using the steps you quoted.
63 >
64 > I notice on a reboot of the install media and chrooting into gentoo,
65 > that /dev/console now has 600 permissions even though I gave it 660.
66 > And /dev/null now has 666 although I gave it 660.
67 >
68 >  cd /dev
69 >
70 >  ls -l console null
71 >  crw------- 1 root root 5, 1 Jun 26 13:02 console
72 >  crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 3 Jun 26 13:02 null
75 As Neil noted, the instructions for fixing this stated not to mount
76 /dev before chrooting into the Gentoo build. You probably did that
77 correctly, but it's important as you moight be seeing something
78 provided by the boot environment and not something you really created.
79
80 <SNIP>
81 >
82 > Boot still hangs up at `Switching to clocklsource tsc
85 When we had this problem I did some reading, as I'm sure you have
86 also. Don't get overly fixated on that message. According to a number
87 of threads I read the message is the proper result of a change in how
88 the clock is getting set up. It's spawned earlier on and the messages
89 print when the asynchronous process completes. Sometimes it prints
90 earlier, sometimes it's the last message, but in our case it wasn't
91 the real cause of the problem.
92
93 The real end of the process, as far as it had gone, was that the
94 kernel loaded, released memory and then just stopped.
97 <SNIP>
98 >
99 > I may fool with it a bit more... but it's pretty discouraging.
100
101 Sorry for the problems. Report back on the init=/sbin/init 1 thing.
102 I'm interested.
103
104 Cheers,
105 Mark