From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Konqueror & Open Office : font problems
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 06:10:37
1 On 7/9/06, Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca> wrote:
2 > I've been suffering from 2 font problems for the last few months.
3 >
4 > (1) Konqueror 3.5.3 (3.5.1 3.5.2) displays news sites with an ugly font
5 > despite my setting 'Standard font = New Century Schoolbook, min/med size 11';
6 > there is no problem with Firefox: see
7 >
8 > http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/font-konq.png
9 > http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/font-firefox1.png
10
11 Heh, I actually think the konqueror rendering is easier to read with a
12 nice anti-aliased font, instead of that jaggy New Century Schoolbook
13 one, but to each his own I guess...
14
15 Anyway it looks to me like Konqueror is always honoring the
16 document-specified fonts instead of your chosen ones. So if a web
17 page specifies Verdana for everything (like Yahoo does), then that is
18 what konqueror displays.
19
20 You can override this quite brutally by using the "Accessibility"
21 style sheet under Stylesheets, and customizing it to force the "same
22 font family for all text".
23
24 > (2) Open Office 2.0.3 (2.0.2) insists on overlarge fonts for menus,
25 > despite my setting 'Tools -> Options -> OpenOffice -> Fonts:
26 > automatic, non-proportional, size 10'; it is cured only when I set
27 > 'Tools -> Options -> OpenOffice -> View: scaling = 80 % '
28 > & '125 %' in the toolbar: see ( 1 = former , 2 = latter )
29
30 If you build openoffice with USE=kde (and it looks like you do),
31 openoffice should be able to use the KDE theming engine for rendering
32 it's user interface, including fonts. But you should make sure that
33 you have "Use system font for user interface" selected in
34 "Tools->Options->OpenOffice.org->View"
35
36 -Richard
37 --
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list