From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ldconfig breaks my system
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:26:27
1 Alex Bennee wrote:
2
3 >Hi,
4 >
5 >Applogies for the cross-post. I'm unsure if this is and amd64 specific
6 >problem or a more general b0rkage.
7 >
8 >I've posted about my failing glibc emerges before:
9 >
10 >http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/114627
11 >
12 >I think I've narrowed it down to ldconfig running during the emerge. In
13 >fact at the moment any time I run ldconfig it breaks the system so that
14 >I cannot spawn any new shells (they segfault straight away). I can
15 >restore my system by untaring a rescue glibc binary.
19 Hmm, don't have an AMD64 yet (waiting for the first dual-core laptop to
20 become available!), but this certainly sounds like a 32-bit vs 64-bit
21 library issue.
22
23 Take a look at /etc/ld.so.conf. This file defines the library search
24 path for your system, and ldconfig takes this file and generates
25 /etc/ld.so.cache from it. I suspect removing the entries for the 32-bit
26 library directories, or possibly just moving them to the end of the
27 list, would solve the problem for the majority of the programs. You may
28 run into trouble with some closed source 32-bit stuff though. (VMWare,
29 Adobe Acrobat, etc)
30
31 -Richard
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list