From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tips/Tricks for Gentoo on low-spec computer?
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 17:15:44
1 On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Dienstag 20 Januar 2009, Grant Edwards wrote:
4 >> I'm in the process of installing Gentoo on a rather old
5 >> machine. It's an old HP Pavilion with a 450MHz Celeron
6 >> Mendocino and 256MB of PC133 SDRAM. I'm using an nVidia PCI
7 >> FX6200 video board instead of the i810 on-board chip, and it's
8 >> got a decent hard drive (160GB).
9 >>
10 >> I was wondering if there were any particular tips/tricks for
11 >> getting the best performance out of such a machine. It's to be
12 >> used for basic word processing and a few games. Hopefully the
13 >> nVidia 6200 will allow OpenGL to run fast enough for something
14 >> like TuxRacer.
15 >>
16 >> I chose XFCE for the desktop along with both Abiword and
17 >> OpenOffice. I probably should have installed OOo from a binary
18 >> package, but I decided to build it just to see how long it
19 >> would take (so far it's at about 26 hours and counting).
20 >
21 > if you don't need any special features, kde+koffice needs less ram than
22 > xfce+openoffice.
23 >
24 > And installing ooo from source is unsupport. The build breaks all the time and
25 > you don't get anything from it. All it does is starting a second faster. It
26 > does not need less ram nor does it run faster.
27
28 OOo from source uses the Go-Oo.org patch set, the binary does not (AFAIK)
29
30 but, yes, watching compile die after an hour (or 20) is no fun :P