From: daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Booting a Kernel-2.4 with glibc-2.9?
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 15:14:06
1 Hello,
2
3 I'm working on upgrading a very old Gentoo system for my work.
4
5 Some software is only running well in 2.4.x kernels, and when doing other
6 updates I inadvertently updated past glibc-2.3.5, and so now the 2.4 kernel
7 does not boot (Fatal error, kernel too old). Fortunately there is a 2.6
8 kernel on the system so I can still boot. I should have been operating on a
9 no-nptl profile.
10
11 Although I stopped the upgrade not longer after upgrading glibc, attempting
12 to downgrading glibc is just about the worst thing I could do. But I don't
13 really know what other options there are, and I've been Googling for hours
14 and hours and no solutions.
15
16 Is there any known workaround for booting a 2.4 kernel on a system with
17 glibc-2.9 installed? I thought perhaps if there is a way to re-install
18 glibc without nptl (assuming linuxthreads are still around in glibc-2.9)
19 then it might work, but not sure how to do that.
20
21 I'm very sad right now.
22
23 Regards,