From: "Marzan
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Sound jack isolations
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:47:38
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Alan McKinnon [mailto:alan.mckinnon@×××××.com]
3 > Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 4:58 PM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sound jack isolations
6 >
7 > On Tuesday 29 January 2008, Marzan, Richard non Unisys wrote:
8 > > I tried googling around but no helpful content so far. I have a
9 > > laptop with built-in sound. It uses the HDA_intel kernel module. My
10 > > problem is that I can't silence the onboard/built-in speakers when I
11 > > plug in the headphones to the machine. Muting sound would lead to
12 all
13 > > jacks and audio ports to be silenced -- not just the built-in
14 > > speakers, which I intend to mute solely leaving sound alive on the
15 > > headphone jacks. There are no channels readily observable to
16 > > differentiate where sound goes and to which port with alsa-mixer.
17 The
18 > > behavior I would like to achieve is one that will allow me to mute
19 > > onboard speakers while continuing to have the headphones receive
20 > > audio signals. Has anyone ever done this? Any pointers to
21 > > documentation will be appreciated.
22 >
23 > Is it a Dell with an ICH8 chipset? This is a well known bug and is
24 fixed
25 > in alsa-1.0.15. I have this same problem on my Dell D830 which runs
26 > Gentoo and Ubuntu.
27 >
28 > On Ubuntu I use a backported kernel and
29 > 'options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m42' in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
30 > --
31 > Alan McKinnon
32 > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
33 > --
34 > gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list
35
36 I'm now using alsa-driver with my system. I checked the ALSA-Project
37 page and it seems since 1.0.14rcX they have pretty much halted
38 development on the Connexant CX20549 Codec which uses Realtek 282...
39 There is a patch from linuxant.com but it's takes a lot more steps to
40 configure. I'm pretty sure I'll solve the issue by editing my own
41 configuration using theirs as a reference point. I'm probably going to
42 have to downgrade my version of alsa-driver or use the svn sources.
45 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list