From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ssh and tar combined?
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 15:04:52
1 On Dec 31, 2005, at 8:26 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:58:17 +0100, Alexander Skwar wrote:
4 >
5 >>> tar outputs to stdout by default,
6 >>
7 >> Not always.
8 >
9 > From man tar
10 >
11 > -f, --file [HOSTNAME:]F
12 > use archive file or device F (default "-", meaning stdin/stdout)
13 >
14 > So "-f -" is unnecessary, but harmless.
15 >
16 yes, this is a style question here. I always prefer to be explicit,
17 where I can. Inevitably, in this business, you move on and someone
18 will have to come behind and understand your scripts. when you're
19 looking at a long line embedded in a script, it's SO much easier to
20 debug when the stdout is explicitly listed, than assumed. This also
21 allows for changes in default behavior. Such practices become
22 habit. But you are correct, today this -f - is unnecessary.
23 Tomorrow? who knows what decisions might be made regarding default
24 output. My point is, being precise costs nothing... nothing but a
25 few keystrokes.
26 >
27 > --
28 > Neil Bothwick
29 >
30 > teG I sdrawkcaB eroM ehT oG I sdrawroF eroM ehT
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list