From: Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Remote administration of a server
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 20:22:25
1 On Monday 14 May 2007 19:42:45 Daniel van Ham Colchete wrote:
2 > To solve this, I'm seeing 2 options right now. The first would be buying a
3 > KVM-over-IP unit. But, a KVM-over-IP unit with the number of ports I need
4 > is expensive, almost as expensive as the servers it will be connected.
5
6 We use a Belkin KVM-IP box with 2 sets of ports. One set for a local
7 keyboard/monitor/mouse, and one to a 16 port Belkin KVM.
8 The IP box can handle upto 64 KVM ports, and the KVM can daisy chain to an
9 extent I don't know.
10 You don't say how many servers, but 64 is quite a lot.
11 I believe Belkin do a 4 channel IP box too.
12 Total cost was, I think, ~£700. To remotely manage >16 servers, peanuts.
13
14 > Thinking about other options, does anyone have any other tip for me? Am I
15 > going in the right direction? For the obvious answer: I know it's better to
16 > be closer to the datacenter, but that's not an option for me right now and
17 > I know I'll have a remote-hands service, but it can be very time
18 > inefficient sometimes and I'm trying to avoid it as much as possible.
19
20 Remotely managed PDUs?
21 Very very useful to be able to power cycle remotely too!
24 Mike Williams
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list