From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mailman trouble
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 14:20:53
1 Johannes Skov Frandsen wrote:
2 > Hi
3 >
4 > For some reason my mailman has stopped responding... probably after a
5 > upgrade but I'm not sure.
6 >
7 > I can't seem to start or stop mailman...
8 >
9 > # /etc/init.d/mailman stop
10 > * Stopping mailman
11 > ...
12 > [ !! ]
13 > # /etc/init.d/mailman start
14 > * WARNING: mailman has already been started.
15 >
16 > I tried to start mailman manually with '/usr/lib/mailman/mailmanctl
17 > start' but got this error:
18 >
19 > Site list is missing: mailman
20 >
21 > Then I ask mailman to display my lists with '/usr/lib/mailman/bin/
22 > list_lists' which gave me this response:
23 >
24 > No matching mailing lists found
25 >
26 > which is somewhat odd as I checked that the lists was located where
27 > they have been the whole time at '/usr/local/mailman/lists/' which was
28 > the case.
29 >
30 > I have tried to kill all mailman processes but without any luck in
31 > regards to starting the service again.
32 >
33 > My best bet is that I have missed some crucial change when accepted
34 > changes to a conf file after an upgrade using dispatch-conf, but I
35 > have no idea which.
36 >
37 > Anybody had the same problem and found a solution?
38 >
39 > Worst case scenario, how do I move my existing lists to a fresh
40 > installation of mailman?
43 I'm not sure about mailman but this is how I handle a service that is
44 giving me fits. /etc/init.d/<service-name> stop. Then I use ps aux and
45 make sure there are no living processes still there and kill them if
46 needed. Then I do a /etc/init.d/<service-name> zap then do a
47 /etc/init.d/<service-name> start. Cross all fingers at that point.
48
49 I'm not sure if it will help or not but until some mailman guru comes
50 along, it may be worth thinking about trying. YMMV.
51
52 Dale
53
55 --