From: Mateusz Mierzwinski <mateuszmierzwinski@××.pl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [query] Compiz-fusion working slow
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 23:00:49
1 Canek Peláez Valdés pisze:
2 > On Jan 30, 2008 7:35 AM, dell core2duo <gentoomail.dell@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi,
5 >> I am running compiz-fusion. but it seems to run very slow. Although
6 >> Cpu/memory usage are normal. But even when i resize a terminal it takes
7 >> few seconds to do so.
8 >> while there is no such problem in doing same without running compiz-fusion.
9 >> I have nvidia-8600-GT graphics card. I would like to know how to make my
10 >> compiz-fusion run smoother.
13 > I've the exact same problem. I've tried everything I could think of,
14 > but it hasn't worked. Try this; grab a corner of a gnome-terminal with
15 > the mouse, and try to make circular movements; it's *painfully* slow.
16 >
17 > I have a NVidia 6800GS. In my laptop with a crappy Intel i950, compiz
18 > fusion it's much more smooth.
19 >
20 > If you can find a solution, please let me know.
21 >
22 I think thats because function Texture-from-pixmap. When You resize Your
23 window, it must be repainted by normal and also polygon of OpenGL must
24 be re-scaled and binded by texture. Normally this should be done in
25 graphic card GPU - by hardware. But - if I get wrong, tell me - nVidia
26 GS series is integrated card with poor performance, much less than FX/GT
27 cards. Also some vendors of board which hosts NV GPU to reduce costs
28 makes it from cheap materials and sometimes much of hardware are miss
29 (like DVI output or Composite output, some resistors etc.). Also memory
30 of card is very important - speed and error correction (something like
31 ECC) if available. I don't know if GT series have pixel shader 2.0. Try
32 google for more info's, more I can't help You.
33
34 Mateusz M.
35 --
36 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list