From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Frame-buffer modes on an eee-pc
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:03:02
1 Hello list,
2
3 My wife has a nice new Asus 1005AH and I'm installing Gentoo on it so that
4 she won't have to struggle with the likes of Lookout Inarush.
5
6 I've spent several days so far exploring blind alleys while getting the box
7 to boot with a working Ethernet connection; eventually I discovered that I
8 had to go to gentoo-sources-2.6.31, and I now have a running text-mode
9 system.
10
11 While messing about at the weekend I found a frame-buffer mode I liked, but
12 now I can't reproduce it. The graphics chip is an Intel 945GME Express, I
13 have intelfb and i2c-dev compiled into the 2.6.31 kernel, and this grub
14 entry:
15
16 root (hd0,4)
17 kernel /kernel-2.6.31-gentoo root=/dev/sda6 video=intelfb:mode=1024x600
18 softlevel=no-x
19
20 When I accidentally hit on the configuration I liked, the display started at
21 the standard 80x25, then when it got to "Waiting for uevents to be
22 processed" the screen blanked and then continued in something like 60 lines
23 (I didn't actually count them); finally at udev-postmount the line length
24 was changef from 80 to something like 120 (I didn't count that either). A
25 very pretty display, clear as crystal.
26
27 Can anybody point me to the config I need? I've tried google of course but
28 no joy there.
31 Rgds
32 Peter