From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo dead?
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 18:42:18
1 On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 2:33 PM Consus <consus@××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 02:10:54PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > > On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 12:58 PM Consus <consus@××××.net> wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > > even distribution kernel is not an
7 > > > official thing, but a desperate attempt of someone to fix things.
8 > > >
9 > >
10 > > Huh? gentoo-sources is in at least as good a shape as I've ever seen
11 > > it. I'd argue it is in better shape than at a lot of times in the
12 > > past.
13 >
14 > Still you have to manually configure things. And I know that Gentoo is
15 > about choice, but configuring kernel is hard.
18 Sure, but by that standard Gentoo has been dead from day 1. :)
19
20 I'm all for precompiled kernels or packages that build them from
21 source like any other Gentoo package. However, these have only been a
22 thing since very recently on Gentoo. If they're not 100% working this
23 is more because they're new/etc than any kind of decay.
26 Rich