From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] etho app rating 10/100 etc in megabytes
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 00:12:30
1 Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> writes:
2
3 > I've gotten confused on this problem way too many times.. I'd like to
4 > get some definitive starting points.
5 >
6 > When you see net adapters online they are always rated like
7 >
8 > 10/100 or 10/100/1000. So how does one turn that notation into
9 > megabytes?
10 >
11 > I think those numbers stand for bits, right?
12 >
13 > But still, when I'm trying to measure how much data is moving to a
14 > certain directory, and I want to compare it to what the adapter is
15 > supposed to do... (in some easy homeboy way).
16 >
17 > I vaguely remember something about 8 bits to a byte or maybe its the
18 > other way round...
19
20 OK, I found all that and how to figure it out here:
21 http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-mbps.htm
22
26 But still needing some coaching about the network setup and what to
27 expect for data transfer in OP