From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Catastrophic bug in the firefox 'ProfileManager' function
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 20:32:03
1 Chris Spackman <chris@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On 2015/07/21 at 02:59pm, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > > On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 21:09:38 +1000, wraeth wrote:
5 >
6 > > > > Have you tried Syncthing - http://syncthing.net/ ?
7 >
8 > > > No I haven't, but one of the main reasons for that is because I
9 > > > mostly bypassed online (read: not controlled by myself) services
10 > > > for any sort of syncing - I eyed a couple, but my primary thought
11 > > > was to retain proper control of my data.
12 >
13 > > Syncthing is peer-to-peer. You can use their discovery server (or
14 > > run your own) for clients to find one another, but data always takes
15 > > the direct route. However, it is only for syncing, if you need the
16 > > extra features, ownCloud works well.
17 >
18 > I have been using Syncthing also, for maybe a year now. It works well
19 > once you get it set up. Recently, the Android app (in F-Droid) has
20 > also been working well - for a while it couldn't find any of my
21 > machines.
22 >
23 > Like Neil said, though, Syncthing has no extra features - it just
24 > syncs between devices. The machines have to be online at the same time
25 > or no syncing happens, because there is no server in the middle to
26 > keep the data. Maybe because of this, I have had far fewer issues with
27 > conflicting file versions with Syncthing than I had with Dropbox.
28 >
29 > FWIW, I tried ownCloud a couple of times and could never get it up and
30 > running properly.
31
32 I have owncloud working just fine, although I don't use it for passwords
33 -- for those I just have a pgp key and individual files and I have an
34 iphone app which can decrypt them.
38 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
39 How do
40 you spend it?
41
42 John Covici