From: Michael Hampicke <mh@××××.biz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Will ZFS clobber my MBR?
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 11:05:31
1 Am 22.01.2014 10:01, schrieb Chris Stankevitz:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > My / (root) lives on /dev/sdb1. My /dev/sda has no partitions and no data
5 > except for what I presume is the mbr written by lilo. [history: sdb is an
6 > SSD and I never wanted to use the slow sda]
7 >
8 > I have been playing with ZFS on a USB drive and I am ready to create a
9 > zpool on /dev/sda.
10 >
11 > ZFS recommends that I give it the entire drive (partitioning discouraged).
12 > In this case I hesitate to give ZFS my entire drive as I worry ZFS will
13 > clobber my MBR rendering my system unbootable.
14 >
15 > Are my fears warranted? If so, what should I do about it? If you
16 > recommend that I partition sda, what parameters do I used to avoid a
17 > clobber?
20 I don't know if creating a ZFS volume on /dev/sda kill break your mbr.
21 But why don't you install lilo on /dev/sdb ?
22 You change change the boot order in BIOS after that.