From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: replacement for ftp?
Date: Sun, 14 May 2017 10:08:32
1 Am Sun, 14 May 2017 01:25:24 +0100
2 schrieb lee <lee@××××××××.de>:
3
4 > "Poison BL." <poisonbl@×××××.com> writes:
5 >
6 > > On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 9:11 PM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
7 > >>
8 > >> "Poison BL." <poisonbl@×××××.com> writes:
9 > [...]
10 > > trust
11 > [...]
12 > >>
13 > >> Why not? (12GB are nowhere close to half a petabyte ...)
14 > >
15 > > Ah... I completely misread that "or over 50k files in 12GB" as 50k
16 > > files *at* 12GB each... which works out to 0.6 PB, incidentally.
17 > >
18 > >> The data would come in from suppliers. There isn't really anything
19 > >> going on atm but fetching data once a month which can be like
20 > >> 100MB or 12GB or more. That's because ppl don't use ftp ...
21 > >
22 > > Really, if you're pulling it in from third party suppliers, you
23 > > tend to be tied to what they offer as a method of pulling it from
24 > > them (or them pushing it out to you), unless you're in the unique
25 > > position to dictate the decision for them.
26 >
27 > They need to use ftp to deliver the data, we need to use ftp to get
28 > the data. I don't want that any other way.
29 >
30 > The problem is that the ones supposed to deliver data are incompetent
31 > and don't want to use ftp because it's too complicated. So what's the
32 > better solution?
33
34 Use an edge router appliance with proper VPN support. You are from
35 Germany? I can recommend Securepoint appliances. You pay for the
36 hardware and support, they support you with setting everything up. You
37 can also find a distributor who can install this for you. Securepoint
38 works with competent partners all around Germany.
39
40 There's also other alternatives like Watchguard (but their OpenVPN
41 support is not that good), and a lot of free router/firewall softwares
42 you can deploy to semi-professional equipment by firmware replacement.
43 But at least with the latter option, you're mostly on your own and need
44 to invest a lot of effort to make it work properly and secure.
45
46 Depending on what data is transferred, you should also take into
47 account if your solution is certificated to transfer such data. E.g.
48 medical data may only be transferred through properly certificated VPN
49 appliances. Otherwise, you should fall back to sneakernet. I'm not sure
50 how that is any more secure but that's how things are.
54 Regards,
55 Kai
56
57 Replies to list-only preferred.