From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] rsync rules question
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 17:51:46
1 On 14/10/2020 14:58, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > I'd like to keep my "hot backup" machine more up-to-date. The most
3 > important directory is my home directory. So far, I've been doing
4 > occasional tarballs of my home directory and pushing them over. I
5 > exclude some directories for "reasons". I'd like to switch to rsync
6 > and run it more often. I've done the RTFM, but I'd more eyes to check
7 > this out before the first run.
8
9 I haven't yet set up my system, but a couple of tweaks I'm planning to
10 add ...
11
12 Either use btrfs, or an lvm partition, so you can take snapshots.
13
14 Do an in-place rsync (ie if part of a file has changed, it only writes
15 the bit that's changed).
16
17 That way, you get a full backup for the price of an incremental.
18
19 The main change from your approach is that this will keep both an old
20 and new copy of any file that has changed.
21
22 The big change you could make from your approach is that you CAN delete
23 files from the backup if they've been deleted on the live system,
24 without losing them.
25
26 Horses for courses, but if you are planning to keep your backup
27 long-term, this could do a good job, provided you remember when you
28 deleted that lost file from your live system :-)
29
30 I'm planning to back up 6TB of live data onto a 12TB shingled disk,
31 which shouldn't be a problem, and given that not much changes (apart
32 from adding new photos), each backup will probably use a few gigs at
33 most. Dunno how long the disk will last, but it should be ages.
34
35 Cheers,
36 Wol