From: bobwxc <bobwxc@××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best approach to a home NAS server
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 02:43:50
1 在 2021/1/20 下午9:37, Raphael MD 写道:
2 >  >>On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 5:57 AM bobwxc <bobwxc@××.com
3 > <mailto:bobwxc@××.com>> wrote:
4 >
5 > >>在 2021/1/20 上午8:04, Raphael MD 写道:
6 > >>
7 > >> Hello folks!
8 > >>
9 > >>
10 > >> What could be the best approach to a small home server with a 20’s
11 > >> core Xeon and 32GB of ram?
12 > >>
13 > >> I'm thinking of serving a NAS, a virtual machine to record 2
14 > cameras
15 > >> with ZoneMider and a DB server/php.
16 > >>
17 > >> Some configurations I'm guessing are described below.
18 > >>
19 > >> 1)Install FreeNAS, formatting my 3 disk in ZFS raid and setup all
20 > >> stuff upon FreeNas using VirtualBox (1-Linux to ZoneMinder and
21 > 1-Linux
22 > >> to a small host php/db server);
23 > >>
24 > >> 2)Install a FreeBSD ZFS using Xen and setup two guests, a Linux
25 > Guest
26 > >> to ZoneMinder + DB/php and a FreeNas guest;
27 > >>
28 > >> 3)Install a Linux ZFS host, ZoneMinder and DB/php upon it and a
29 > >> virtual machine for FreeNas;
30 > >>
31 > >> 4)Install a Linux ZFS, setup a NAS on Linux, and run a VirtualBox
32 > >> machine to ZoneMinder and another small server.
33 > >>
34 > >> Thanks!
35 > >>
36 > >Here are some my options,
37 > >1. freenas host, using dockers for ZoneMinder and php/db server;
38 > >    (or linux host and docker for nas and other server)
39 > >2. try ESXi, and install virtual machine like freenas and linux
40 > servers.
41 >
42 > >I recommend No.2, since you server is powerful and ESXi may get a
43 > good
44 > >performance.
47 > I never have used Docker, is Docker better than Xen? I'm curious if it
48 > is easier to understand and maintain than some standalone virtual machine.
49 >
50 > Regarding the ESXi I'm looking for some free solution, because this
51 > will be a home server.
52 >
53 > In the case of ZFS, is Linux stable for production nowadays? I've read
54 > and appear to be in very good condition now.
55 >
56 I also haven't using Xen :-) so I searched it, and it seems like that
57 +------------------+
58 |   application    |
59 +------------------+
60 |      Docker      |
61 |       Xen        |
62 |       KVM        |
63 +------------------+
64 | hardware machine |
65 +------------------+
66 Docker has higher utilization rate of resources, such as memory and hard
67 disk sharing, and KVM isolation is more thorough.
68 So Docker is on application layer, and it is easier to manage a bunch of
69 application containers.
70 If you prefer standalone virtual machine, KVM and Xen is better.
71 But I'm not sure which is better between KVM and Xen, seems KVM is more
72 widely used at present.
73
74 And I forgot ESXi need a license key for your multi core machine, sorry.
77 bobwxc
78 F645 5C7A 08E8 A637 24C6 D59E 36E9 4EAB B53E 516B

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature