From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [ANNOUNCE] I like systemd now :)
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 19:49:06
1 On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 1:28 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 12:21:06 -0600
3 > Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 11:29 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
6 >> <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
7 >> [snip]
8 >> >> Seniority != meritocracy. And I don't know how much "meritocratic"
9 >> >> this list could be, since it is a users lists. The most "merit" a
10 >> >> member of this list can get is to give technically acurate,
11 >> >> constructive, and polite help for those users asking for it.
12 >> >>
13 >> >
14 >> > in that case Alan certainly is at the very top.
15 >> >
16 >> > He is one of maybe three posters where I read every mail - and one
17 >> > of a handful I have a hard time to disagree with. Same for Neil
18 >> > Bothwick. Just to name two that rank very highly on my privat list
19 >> > of good gentoo-user citizens.
20 >> >
21 >> > Because both know what they are talking about. Something that is
22 >> > very rare.
23 >>
24 >> I'm not saying otherwise. I'm just saying that asking for "how long"
25 >> someone has "been around" to determine his "place in the pecking
26 >> order" it's laughable.
27 >>
28 >> Just for the record, and although I'm a systemd user and supporter, I
29 >> don't agree with many of the things 微蔡 said, and I certainly don't
30 >> agree with the way he said them.
31 >>
32 >> But still for Alan to ask for how long he has been on the list to
33 >> undermine his point of view, I think is laughable at the best, and
34 >> cheap at the worst.
35 >
36 > Now is the correct time to point out that you misinterpreted my post. I
37 > didn't say so earlier for the simple reason that (in my world at least)
38 > that always seems to pour gasoline on fires.
39 >
40 > The intent was for 微蔡 to respond then I could point out that I felt
41 > him coming in here brand new and making comments of "haters" and so on
42 > was highly inappropriate and considered rude in almost all human
43 > cultures. It is true that longevity doesn't buy much, but it is also
44 > true that people in a group or community do have to establish at least
45 > *some* street cred first. Sans that, we have little more than
46 > mob-chaos.
47
48 I don't agree with that. It's a technical list, so the technical
49 arguments should be the only ones that matter, no matter who says them
50 or (to a certain degree) how they say them.
51
52 I didn't say anything about the members of the list responding to 微蔡
53 on at least one technical ground; yours was the first message I saw
54 that had not even a hint of a technical argument, but only a call for
55 proof of seniority. I felt that needed to be called out, because (IMO)
56 it serves no purpose and alienates users, specially new ones that feel
57 that they don't belong to a non-existing club.
58
59 Regards.
60 --
61 Canek Peláez Valdés