From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't emerge xfce4 with installed lprng. :-(
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 15:19:29
1 On Thursday 24 July 2008, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hi, excellent people!
3 >
4 > Having got X11 installed and "working", I need a window manager. Why
5 > not XFCE, as supplied on the installation disk?
6 >
7 > # emerge xfce didn't work - "Portage: Don't know what xfce is".
8 > Scrabbled aroud /usr/portage, then # emerge xfce4 started working.
9 >
10 > Why the 4 do I have to type xfce4, not xfce? Anyhow, that's a minor
11 > point.
12
13 I don't know why, it probably the official name of the upstream project,
14 like kde4 really is kde4 not kde. Names are arbitrary anyway. Why the
15 name xfce? Maybe it means something, it probaly doesn't
16
17 > The major point was that portage refused to install xfce because it
18 > said that
19 >
20 > [blocks B ] net-print/lprng (is blocking
21 > net-print/cups-1.3.7-r1) [blocks B ] net-print/cups (is blocking
22 > net-print/lprng-3.8.28)
23 >
24 > * Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot
25 > be * installed at the same time on the same system.
26 >
27 > . I.e., it wants to override my decision to use lprng as print
28 > program and put in cups instead. This is a bit of a cheek!
29
30 No it doesn't mean that. It means that according to the configuration
31 you have specified, lprng and cups must both be installed, but they
32 cannot coexist on the same system (i.e. they block).
33
34 You, the human, must now make a decision and tell portage what you want
35 it to do, and you need to tell it in the unambiguous manner that
36 portage expects you to tell it in. You may be quite certain that you
37 have done this, but I assure you you have not (according to portage's
38 rules that is)
39
40 > Why isn't xfce configured merely to install "some print daemon",
41 > rather than specifically cups? For that matter, why must it install
42 > a print daemon at all? Not every X user has a printer or wants to
43 > print.
44 >
45 > What can I do about this? I really don't want to have to install
46 > cups.
47
48 We'll need lots more info to determine why portage wants to do this.
49 Start with the output of 'emerge -avt xfce4' and post all of it back
50 here.
51
52 Meanwhile, I recommend you get out the trusty gentoo docs from
53 gentoo.doc and read the section on blockers, as you are going to need
54 this info. My bet is that you have the cups USE flag enabled (to enable
55 printing) and xfce4 is hard-coded to use cups as the default print
56 daemon. Before you ask "why is there not a choice?" - there is, it's
57 called a virtual, but in the absense of you saying which package you
58 want to satisfy that virtual, there must be a default. cups would be a
59 good default choice, lprng would be an very thick choice.
62 Alan McKinnon
63 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com