From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Migrating to python3_6 ?
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2019 04:42:39
1 So,
2
3 I have been reading all sorts of things from you cannot get rid of
4 python 2.7 to it's straightforward to leave python2_7.
5
6 "Jan 1 2020 python 2.7 is bye_bye"
7
8 If this is true, I'm not sure which to upgrade to Python 3.6,7,8,9;
9 versus 3.7 seems most poputlar ?
10
11 I have these versions of python installed 2.7.15, 3.5.5 and 3.6.5
12 and these settings in make.conf::
13
14 PYTHON_TARGETS=" python2_7 python3_6"
15 PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_6"
16
17 Sometimes it's hard to sort out the most accurate/current docs to read
18 from the older docs, related to various issues. I'm a none systemd
19 gentoo user, and not the sharpest tac in the box.......(python_challenged?)
20
21 eix --installed-with-use python_targets_python2_7
22 When I run this command string, I get 157 ::
25 Here are a few of the docs that seem reasonable, but may not be the best
26 guides to follow, on the journey from Python2 to Python3?
29 https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2018-05-22-python3-6.html
30
31 https://stxnext.com/blog/2019/04/16/python-3-migration-guide/
32
33 https://packages.gentoo.org/useflags/python_single_target_python3_6
34
35 https://devguide.python.org/#status-of-python-branches
36
37 Perhaps I've missed a straightforward guide, or a way to mitigate when a
38 package still want python2_7 ?
41 Info and guidance is most welcome.
44 James