From: Christopher Copeland <chrcop@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backups
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 18:49:46
1 On 30 Sep 2007, at 12:33, Grant wrote:
2
3 > Where do you guys store your backups? Leaving backups on a DVD in the
4 > same apartment as the machines doesn't make too much sense to me.
5 > Maybe I should mail em to my parents every week or something?
6 >
7 > - Grant
8
9 Offsite backups are a good idea if your data is important to you. I
10 have several servers around the world so setting up rsync mirrors is
11 pretty painless. Then I burn to DVD remotely.. (I have trained people
12 enough so that when the tray opens they replace the DVD with a blank)
13
14 You might want to look at doing a stage 4 backup and then sending
15 that file to one of those online storage services. A quick google
16 shows there are many out there offering 2-25GB of free storage. There
17 are some non-free services designed specifically for backup where you
18 don't pay to upload but do pay when you want to get your data (which
19 given it is a backup I assume you would be highly motivated to pay if
20 a restore is required) A few months back I looked into Amazon's S3 to
21 automate offsite storage of backups. I never implemented anything
22 though.
23
24 I would encrypt anything sent to one of those online storage services.
25 --
26 Christopher
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list