From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE plasmashell and wallpapers.
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2019 14:16:35
1 On Tuesday, December 24, 2019 10:53:13 AM CET Mick wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, 24 December 2019 06:40:13 GMT Dale wrote:
3 > > Howdy,
4 > >
5 > > It seems plasmashell and wallpapers for the desktop has a problem. I'm
6 > > not sure if it is just me or if it could affect others. Either way, I
7 > > have no idea how to fix it. I have a LOT of wallpapers that I've
8 > > downloaded/collected over the years. Some are NASA pics of Mars, stars,
9 > > galaxies and a whole lot of others that I've accumulated over the last
10 > > 15 years or so. According to Dolphin and the properties box, it's well
11 > > over 100,000 of them.
12 >
13 > WOW! A rather large number I would think.
14 >
15 > > I have them all in a directory named, wait for
16 > > it, wallpapers. Under that they are sorted in directories by what they
17 > > are, where they come from or whatever. I try not to go to deep but it
18 > > does pick up at least two or three levels deep. I've had it set that
19 > > way for ages and it has always worked with the only problem being it
20 > > picking them at random. Some are intended to be like a slideshow.
21 > > Anyway, they added the option of doing them in different orders
22 > > including a-z, which is nice. It will be nicer if I can get it to work
23 > > now. ;-)
24 > >
25 > > Problem. When I have it set to the main directory and I login to KDE,
26 > > plasmashell goes nuts. It hogs up a full CPU core and never stops.
27 > > It's not exactly memory friendly either. The little panel thingy at the
28 > > bottom, the thing with the clock and the pager etc, locks up tight. The
29 > > clock doesn't change, you can't select anything with it or anything
30 > > else. Just for giggles, I left it for half a hour or so hoping it would
31 > > finish whatever it was doing but it never did. Killing plasmashell and
32 > > restarting results in the same problem. Once it does that, I have to
33 > > downgrade to a earlier version of plasma. While fiddling with it today,
34 > > I had the idea of manually restarting plasmashell and letting it show on
35 > > the screen what it was doing. Since the panel thingy won't work,
36 > > neither does the clipboard so no copy and paste of the actual error
37 > > itself. What it showed me tho was that the wallpapers was the problem.
38 > > It said something about bad metadata for each and every wallpaper image
39 > > I have stored. I can't recall the error exactly but may can reproduce
40 > > it later.
41 >
42 > Take a pic of it so you have a more precise idea what it reports and google
43 > for ideas on what may be causing it. If you're on a console use tee to
44 > redirect the output to a file, or use gpm to select some text off the screen
45 > and paste it in a file.
46 >
47 > > I suspect when the option to have them random or in order was
48 > > added, something changed in the way it looks at the directory. Thing
49 > > is, I have no idea how to make this work like it should with all of them
50 > > enabled.
51 >
52 > I have found the file indexer occasionally chews up CPU non-stop. I think I
53 > disabled it at some point but in any case I have not noticed it chewing up
54 > CPU since. Could it be the file indexer now needs to re-index all your
55 > images and it falls over itself due to the number and directory depth?
56 >
57 > Is possible to drop into a console or ssh into this PC when it's hanging to
58 > see what process(es) are taking up resources in real time?
59 >
60 > > My temporary solution, I pointed it to a small directory that only has a
61 > > couple dozen images in it. That seems to work.
62 >
63 > Is there a difference in the metadata of these few images compared with the
64 > rest in the whole directory?
65 >
66 > > Setting it to the whole
67 > > directory after that tho, does the same as above. So doing a sort of
68 > > reset doesn't help. Heck, at one point, I cleaned up the living room,
69 > > took out the trash and did some other stuff while it was banging away
70 > > with a core on my CPU. Thing never did finish.
71 > >
72 > > Anyone even know where to start with this? I've got it narrowed down to
73 > > it being a issue with wallpapers. I just don't know where to go from
74 > > here. Is it supposed to do that for some reason and I'm the only one
75 > > with a HUGE collection? Surely not.
76 > >
77 > > Thanks.
78 > >
79 > > Dale
80 > >
81 > > :-) :-)
82 >
83 > Some ideas in no particular order:
84 >
85 > Compare the metadata of an image which works without crashing and one that
86 > causes a crash, with exif or less. If there is no discernible difference it
87 > may be the problem is not with the metadata, but with Plasma being able to
88 > parse all these files and their metadata.
89 >
90 > Gradually add images to find a number at which the problem occurs and back
91 > off from there. Not a solution, but a workaround.
92 >
93 > Another workaround, restructure the fs to have fewer layers, but keep the
94 > same large number of images to see if it process them without a crash.
95 >
96 > Do you really all 100,000 images? Is it worth keeping all of them, or is it
97 > perhaps time for some house keeping?
98 >
99 > Wait for new Plasam version to come out and perhaps report a bug if one is
100 > not yet posted.
101
102 Or run the following:
103 find ./ -iname "*" -type f -exec file {} \; > /tmp/file.txt
104
105 from inside the Wallpaper-folder and check the output (see file /tmp/file.txt)
106 for anything obvious.
107
108 You will have a long line per file, so using "grep -v " to filter out known
109 good results might help in finding the problem file(s)
112 Joost