From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} "dumb" ethernet mover
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 02:19:55
1 >>>> My cable internet outlet is across the room from my TV, and my Gentoo
2 >>>> desktop attaches to my TV. ?I'm using a small wireless router to send
3 >>>> the signal from the cable modem to my Gentoo system across the room.
4 >>>> I don't like using a non-Gentoo decision-making device in my network,
5 >>>> but I also don't want to build and maintain another Gentoo system for
6 >>>> only firewall/router duties. ?Am I overlooking another option? ?I want
7 >>>> a "dumb" device to move the ethernet connection from one side of the
8 >>>> room to the other.
9 >>>
10 >>> Usually that's called a "cable". ?;)
11 >>>
12 >>> Many wireless bridges have a "virtual cable" mode point-to-point
13 >>> bridging mode that will let you pair them together so that they won't
14 >>> talk to anything else and are just transparent layer 2 bridges. ?I've
15 >>> got some DLink bridges that have a mode like that. ?You just set them
16 >>> up next to each other and powered them both up while holding a button
17 >>> down, and they'd find each other and pair-up.
18 >>
19 >> I hadn't heard of a wireless bridge before.  That sounds about right.
20 >> DD-WRT running as a wireless bridge wouldn't be so bad right?
21 >
22 > I don't have any experience with DD-WRT.  I use OpenWrt, but have
23 > only used it in "normal" bridges and WAPs.
24
25 Sorry to be getting even more OT, but why did you choose OpenWRT over
26 DD-WRT? I didn't know there was more than one choice available.
27
28 - Grant
31 > By a "normal" bridge, I mean one that's running in infrastructure mode
32 > talking to a WAP using the normal WEP and WAP authentication (the WAP
33 > also happened to be running OpenWrt).
34 >
35 > For a simple point-to-point link you may want to try ad-hoc mode
36 > instead of infrastrucure mode.