From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AMD 64 bit system selections
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 17:17:34
1 On Tuesday 31 January 2006 11:58, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote
2 about '[gentoo-user] AMD 64 bit system selections':
3
4 > We'll I'm finally taking the plunge and building a high performance
5 > 64 bit AMD system. Oh, but the company paying for it insist upon
6 > windozXP 64bit, just in case Gentoo does not work. I'm really surprise
7 > some vendor is not listed on gentoo.org, as it'd make this purchase
8 > more straightforward, and It'd be a great opportunity to support Gentoo.
9 > Any 'off the shelf' system recommendations, or should I just purchase
10 > pieces? (Reasonable vendors that build systems and perform Gentoo
11 > installation here in the US?)
12
13 I've been running a pure 64-bit gentoo system since July/August of last
14 year as my desktop. It had been 6 (or more) years since my last MB
15 upgrade, and I was going for something near the top of the line so I
16 wouldn't have to upgrade in the future.
17
18 > What's the best 64 bit processor choice for performance for Gentoo?
19 > Dual-core?
20 > Complimentary ram specs?
21
22 I went with 2 Opteron 275s and I'm quite happy with it. I'd suggest
23 staying away from Itanium architectures for linux as it doesn't have as
24 much developer support, from what I can tell. Also, while I am not an
25 expert in system board design, the NUMA architecture available from AMD
26 does appear to have fewer bottlenecks.
27
28 > Mobo recommendations (lm_sensors and acpi support) in a 19 inch rack?
29
30 My system is an EATX desktop, not a rack, but I'm using a Tyan board. I'll
31 recommend Tyan with the caveat that I have limited experience.
32
33 > N+1 redundant power supply recommendations?
34
35 Can't say anything here, I run a single power supply. :)
36
37 > 10/100/1000 Ethernet support?
38
39 While I don't get to use it that much, I really appreciate Gigabit ethernet
40 being available on my motherboard. When I'm making a backup image of a
41 system or transferring CD/DVD images over the LAN it really pays off.
42
43 > What's the friendliest high end video card for displaying video
44 > (fast motion) that has open source drivers? Multiple displays?
45
46 Do you mean pure open-source, or just drivers that will work? I think it's
47 gonna be hard to find pure open-source drivers for a card that handles
48 this (*please* correct me if I'm mistaken). I love my NVidia 7800GTXs.
49
50 > Which Sata-2 drives give good performance and size (400 G or more)?
51
52 I'll swear by my 6 Hitachi 7k500s. They have blazing performance, and
53 they've yet to perform a single bad block relocation, despite bringing
54 them on a road trip, and keeping them in my filthy apartment.
55
56 > What's the best Raid level to run for storing, searching and
57 > manipulating tons of video, and should I get a Gentoo friendly
58 > controller or use software raid?
59
60 Software raid in linux is fine, and you can even use some of the limpware
61 raid (like the nv_raid on my Tyan board) with the dmraid utilities. That
62 said, I went with hardware raid because I wanted to keep /boot on a raid
63 array. I definitely think my areca 1160 is worth what I paid for it, and
64 while the tools are not in portage and the module is not in mainline the
65 support for linux is good. They provide 32 and 64 bit binaries for the
66 command-line interface and http control interface and the kernel module is
67 GPL'd and in the mm tree.
68
69 > Finally which file system would one recommed for this video server
70 > with the best, stable performance.
71
72 If you are going to have a UPS and cleanly shutdown in the case of power
73 failures, go with XFS. I'm a big reiser (3 and 4) fan, but I'm starting
74 to see some of it's ragged edges, and I think XFS will probably serve you
75 better.
78 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
79 bss03@××××××××××.com
80 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy