From: Mike Kazantsev <mk.fraggod@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Port Multiplier Support
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 20:32:04
1 On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 09:39:04 -0600
2 Anthony Mutiso <anm.mlist01@××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_multiplier> says that after
5 > 3 disks you start to saturate the controller.
6
7 Guess I was wrong about the whole 'Port Multiplication' thing, if it
8 works in that mode.
9
10 Still, the original post also mentions that it's an H/W RAID
11 controller, so I guess the problem can be negated just by packing disks
12 into RAID0 or linear array, so it'll be one channel instead of three
13 separate ones.
14
15 Kinda curious about it's performance - H/W RAID cards seem to be more
16 expensive than fifty pounds and this one shouldn't have any interface
17 to draw power from CPU via OS drivers.
20 Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net