From: Maxim Wexler <maxim.wexler@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] synaptics support in xorg
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 00:44:12
1 Hi group,
2
3 According to 'The X Server Configuration HOWTO'
4
5 "If you use alternative input devices, such as a Synaptics touchpad
6 for a laptop, be sure to add it to INPUT_DEVICES. "
7
8 So I put in make.conf INPUT_DEVICES="mouse keyboard synaptics" and did
9 emerge -pv xorg-server.
10
11 In the output after INPUT_DEVICES I saw keyboard, mouse and evdev in
12 red and synaptics in blue with a minus sigh. So I removed keyboard and
13 mouse from the line in make.conf. Same result. Don't know where evdev
14 comes from; I never specified it anywhere.
15
16 Only by explicitly entering INPUT_DEVICES="synaptics" emerge -pv
17 xorg-server was I able to see, after INPUT_DEVICES in the output, the
18 word synaptics in green with an asterisk at the end. The words evdev,
19 keyboard and mouse appear further along in the output, also in green
20 ending in asterisks but preceeded with a minus sign. And, that was
21 after re-adding mouse and keyboard to INPUT_DEVICES in make.conf.
22
23 Questions:
24
25 Is this the right way to go? Why won't portage accept what's in
26 make.conf in this case? It accepts my USE flags and my VIDEO_CARDS
27 entry. What's with the green and the asterisk? Is the doc wrong? I
28 note it was updated just three weeks ago.
29
30 Maxim