From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UPS recommendation
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 18:06:41
1 On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 10:15 AM, maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi group,
3 >
4 > This summer's electrical storms are coming and I can count on my PC stopping dead several times over the season.
5 >
6 > I did a search for UPS units and was overwhelmed by the diversity out there.
7 >
8 > What can the group recommend?
9 >
10 > I only need something that will give me about a minute's head start to safely turn of the box.
11 >
12 > Maxim
15 I have two APC USP's. We have an older home with 2-conductor wiring. I
16 have not been happy with these units since we moved in here. Our
17 previous home had 3-conductor wiring and they seemed to work better in
18 that house.
19
20 The APC's are supported by apcupsd which will shut your machines down
21 for you. It's important that you make sure whatever choice you make is
22 well supported as you will likely not be sitting right there when the
23 problem occurs.
24
25 - Mark
26 --