From: Amankwah <amankwah7@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Gentoo-User] emerge --sync likely to kill SSD?
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 08:40:25
1 On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 10:36:59AM +0800, microcai wrote:
2 > rsync is doing bunch of 4k ramdon IO when updateing portage tree,
3 > that will kill SSDs with much higher Write Amplification Factror.
6 > I have a 2year old SSDs that have reported Write Amplification Factor
7 > of 26. I think the only reason is that I put portage tree on this SSD
8 > to speed it up.
9 >
10 > what is the suggest way to reduce Write Amplification of a portage sync ?
13 Maybe the only solution is that move the portage tree to HDD??