From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] no_root_squash equivalent for virtualbox shared folders?
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 22:43:42
1 On Wednesday 20 July 2011 15:33:48 walt did opine thusly:
2 > I've been trying to share /usr/portage on a gentoo host with a
3 > virtualbox gentoo guest, but I'm having an identity crisis ;)
4 >
5 > The /usr/portage/ share mounts perfectly on the gentoo guest,
6 > but even root (on the gentoo guest) can't write to the shared
7 > portage directory.
8 >
9 > After hours of googling and putzing around with mount options,
10 > I'm pretty sure that root on the host is not the same user as
11 > root on the virtualbox guest.
12 >
13 > This seems analogous to an NFS mount without the 'no_squash_root'
14 > mount option, but I haven't discovered the analogous solution
15 > for vboxfs mounts.
16 >
17 > Any applications of the cluestick would be most welcome :)
18
19 What are the relevant entries in
20
21 /etc/exports on the host
22 /etc/fstab on the guest
23
24 root on one is not different to root on another; root is root. Well
25 actually it's EUID=0 is EUID=0 but you get the idea.
26
27 Your problem is one of
28 root_squash active on the host
29 mounted ro on the guest
30 exported ro on the host
31 some weird new funkyness courtesy of NFS4
34 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com