From: "Terry Z." <bezerker@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Call for opinions and/or use cases regarding games.eclass
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2016 19:34:23
1 On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 4:27 AM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Most of us know about the games.eclass history. Let's put that aside;
4 > I'm looking for user consensus on packages that use(d) games.eclass.
5 >
6 > 1. Do you take advantage of games.eclass features, including restricting
7 > game access to a given group and installing games outside of /usr and/or
8 > on different media?
11 I like the game group feature. On a multiuser system it makes it fairly
12 simplistic to ensure access goes to whom I want to have access to those
13 games. It also behaves similarly to other services which allow non root
14 users to run things based on their group membership.
15
16 I do not really care much about the ability to install outside of /usr, but
17 I can see that being very useful. Of course, a symlink can provide this
18 same feature.
19
20 2. If yes, how do you feel about the removal of the eclass? Did you rely
21 > on its functionality? Does your use case require it?
24 I have very few personal ebuilds that take advantage of much of the
25 features other than the group reqs etc. Still, I see the value in them.
29 > 3. If yes, _what is your use case_? Which features are important to your
30 > use case wrt games and what can Gentoo do to improve that.
33 I make use of the games group in my personal ebuilds. I find some of the
34 other features provided in games.eclass potentially useful, but do not make
35 immediate needs of them.
38 > We cannot make concrete decisions without concrete evidence, so please
39 > answer and speak for your use case. This will serve as a public record
40 > of interest, and might even inspire a few people. :)
41 >
42 > Thanks for your time,
43 >
44 > ~zlg
45 > --
46 > Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
47 > OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
48 > fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6
54 The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making a stable operating system
55 and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the world.
56 -- seen on the net