From: Heiko Wundram <me+gentoo-user@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Port Tracer Program Needed
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 17:52:55
1 Am Dienstag, 14. März 2006 18:08 schrieb Timothy A. Holmes:
2 > Hans -- Thank you, I realize that I can make it blink with network
3 > traffic, the problem is that basically all the ports on the switches
4 > have traffic running constantly on them, so I need to find a way to make
5 > it distinctive enough so it can be picked out from the rest of the
6 > noise.
7
8 Save the following script as floodping.sh, and try it, you should be able to
9 notice the traffic from your regular traffic:
10
11 #!/bin/sh
12 ifconfig $1 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 10.0.0.255
13 while true
14 do
15 ping -f -w $2 -b 10.0.0.255
16 sleep $2
17 done
18
19 ./floodping.sh eth0 5
20
21 would mean that it does five seconds of intensive traffic (which has packets
22 going to the switch in the order of <20ms or so, depending on your laptop,
23 and the lamp should blink very frequently), then does five seconds of data
24 sleep, which should be almost completely quiet on the switch (except for that
25 occasional broadcast packet from another computer directed at yours).
26
27 Be sure to use a network that isn't on your local net for testing, as my
28 network is 192.*, I've used 10.* in the example. If you use a network that's
29 regularily used on your network, you might get problems discerning the sleep
30 phase, as the arp address of your laptop propagates to all other endpoints on
31 your net due to the use of a regular network, and this might mean a lot of
32 ARP queries, depending on your network size.
33
34 I've used a technique like this to check the cabling in a building, and it
35 worked just fine.
36
37 HTH!
40 --- Heiko.