From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] is anyone using Nouveau graphics driver ?
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 16:54:17
1 On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 12:17 PM Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 ​[...]
3 > (1) What are people's experiences with Nouveau ?
4 > -- does it work easily with various kernels ?
5
6 ​Usually without any intervention from my part.
7
8 > -- does it manage graphics stably & reliably ?
9
10 ​Much more than with the NVidia binary driver, at least in my case.
11
12 > -- I don't do much with video (a few newsreels) & don't use sound.
13
14 I watch video (both desktop and YouTube), listen to music and edit some
15 video. Also I edit some images with Inkscape and/or Gimp. And normal
16 desktop use.
17
18 > (2) If I install it, how do I switch between Nouveau & Nvidia ?
19
20 ​Basically "eselect opengl set​ xorg-11" or "nvidia". Also, for NVidia you
21 must add a Xorg.conf snippet in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ so you set the NVidia
22 device for the binary driver.
23
24 > (3) Sadly, I didn't make a Quickpkg of the Nvidia version I was using
25 > when my scanner was working with Gentoo (last time 180626).
26 > I have the distfiles, but not the ebuilds :
27 > is there anywhere I can find ebuilds for Nvidia-Drivers 390.42 390.48 ?
28
29 ​Git to the rescue:
30
31 https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers?id=9a52478a2329ffce09c4c1a400934499fcb5ae93
34 ​I should mention that I use GNOME. The nouveau drivers have been working
35 like a charm for GNOME for several years.
36
37 ​Regards.
38 --
39 Dr. Canek Peláez Valdés