From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] undelete files and dirs on ext3 partition
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:20:28
1 On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 10:09:37 +0100, pat wrote:
2
3 > One of my coligues used this "rm -rf /" command on his ext3 partition
4 > as root ... of course :-( He removes about 50% of data. And my question
5 > is: is there a utility to undelete the files and directories or at
6 > least some files? I know that this shouldn't be possible but data are
7 > worth to ask :-)
8
9 He could try photorec from the testdisk package, but mount the filesystem
10 ro immediately to reduce any further damage. The output from photorec
11 isn't pretty and will take a lot of work to sort out what is worth
12 keeping, but that is all part of the learning process :P
16 Neil Bothwick
17
18 "Bother," said Pooh, as Satan laid his soul to waste.