From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] init script freezes when xdm (kdm) starts
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 00:11:31
1 Hi, guys
2
3 I've been seeing this for several months now, and I couldn't fix it. It is
4 easy to workaround, so I didn't want to bother the list before.
5
6 But when it's enough, it's enough.
7
8 While booting, I can see the init scripts progress up to the time xdm (kdm)
9 starts. Then I lo gin and start to work. Suddenly I remember that I have
10 to issue a Ctrl-Alt-F1 to return to the boot console and only then the
11 scripts go on, looking like they froze when X started (or some other related
12 app).
13
14 That was for several months and has come back now. During a few months
15 interval (I suppose that those time periods were coincident to kernel
16 updates) I got the opposite: the scripts kept going, X appeared for very few
17 seconds and then the boot console reappeared without intervention. I always
18 had to hit Ctrl-Alt-F7 to return to kdm.
19
20 Any suggestions?
21
22 Thanks a lot
23 Francisco
26 "If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you
27 and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one
28 idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." -
29 George Bernard Shaw