From: "Серега Филатов" <raxp.worm202@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 32GB RAM and Swap
Date: Sun, 03 May 2020 00:11:40
1 I want to say that it really depends on this:
2
3 - What do you do on your system (what applications do you use, what DE, how
4 is your production ram-hungry, maybe it is some large application that
5 you're contributing on)
6 - How do you do things on your system (shutting down machine every day or
7 suspending it with 1-2 months+ uptime, using only apps you need or leaving
8 plenty of them running in the background, cleaning out tabs in your browser
9 or leaving them always opened in case you need them)
10 - You're using hibernation (if so, you definitely need swap large enough to
11 contain the whole contents of your ram)
12 - Your expectations of the need in swap in the next couple of years (and
13 you really SHOULD expect this. Personally I considered recently that 4 GB
14 is enough for all my needs and now I don't know how to even browse the
15 modern internet with it). You can have a swap in this case for the future.
16 Or if your system will live for couple of years without reinstallation
17 you'll consider that you need swap, so you'll repartition your drive, maybe
18 it'll get full of data to this time and you need to clean it up first,
19 maybe you'll need to backup your data before repartitioning, and so on...
20 It might take a long time in the future.
21
22 The first time I heard the "oh, you don't really need swap now, it's plenty
23 of ram in modern machines" was mid-2000s. Back then I had a 512MB RAM
24 machine (you'll not get modern fancy browser on it!).
25 And then every 2-3 years I hear that. But I still end up creating a swap
26 partition on every new machine I have.